3. If you'll be investing in only one company's products. Get the adviser to explain in writing, whether there are some alternatives available at cheaper prices.
4. If the investment advice is weighted heavily towards one asset class over another. A heavy weighting in shares or property might suit an investor looking for capital growth, but may not suit those depending on regular, secure income.
5. Investing in shares or property when you will need access to your money in a year or two. Shares and property are usually 5-10 year investments, and can experience capital losses, in the short term (1 - 2 years). If this is a concern, ask your adviser for a response in writing.
6. The plan doesn't include emergency cash. For example, you might have a young family and need quick access to some of money for those unexpected events that can occur when children are involved. Reject any plan that leaves you without an emergency cash slush fund.
7. Does the plan focus too much on tax minimisation strategies? Look first at whether the investment suits you before worrying about tax strategies that are often expensive and risky
8. If the financial plan suggests using borrowed funds to buy an investment, ask the adviser to explain in writing the extra risks involved.
9. Make sure the financial plan explains the penalty charges (if any) for exiting an investment early. Get the early exit costs in writing.
As goals-based advice continues to become an increasingly important part of an adviser's offering and service delivery, investment platforms are playing a pivotal role in bridging the relationship ... Watch video
Advisers share their personal experience on how their aged care services have assisted their business practice Discussion on what were the key hurdles at the start of the transition and how they have ... Watch video
Common objectives and how they can be dealt with; Estate planning for young families and older clients and blended families - what engages the clients. Asset protection - the risks arising from blended ... Watch video
Calls for clarity on personal advice in DDO11 November 2019, 12:41pmThe definition of personal advice and the treatment of platform operators in the design and distribution obligations legislation must be clarified, the Financial Services Council has argued in its sub Read more
Ethics code creates confusion around ESG11 November 2019, 12:39pmA debate is raging about what the Financial Advice Standards and Ethics Authority's Code of Ethics means for ESG investing and advising clients on ethical investment options, with FASEA chief executive ... Read more
FPA Congress could be biggest yet11 November 2019, 12:26pmThe 2019 Financial Planning Association of Australia Congress is on track to be the biggest yet, with numbers of delegates registered surpassing last year's. Read more